UCP of Hudson County recognizes that disabilities are as diverse as the individuals they serve and recognizes the need to make reasonable modifications to its policies, regarding assistance offered to passengers who may require additional assistance to use its services.
Under Title II of the ADA, state and local governments are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices and procedures where necessary to avoid discrimination.
For those riders who require additional assistance, UCP of Hudson County will endeavor to accommodate all reasonable modification requests for such assistance by following procedures outlined below:
- Riders must inform UCP of Hudson County of the need and specific type of additional assistance requested at the time ride reservation is made.
- Reservationist will advise Dispatcher of the specific rider need/request. Dispatcher will log the information within the client information system and determine the resources required to accommodate rider.
- The Dispatcher will evaluate the request and report to the Director of Transportation whether the request is reasonable to perform.
- If the Director of Transportation deems the service requested to be unreasonable to perform or to repeat on a regular basis, he/she must cite specific reasoning to support the finding and inform the Executive Director.
- If UCP of Hudson County concurs with the finding of the Transportation Director the rider must be so informed via phone call at least 48 hours before the requested/scheduled trip. The finding must also be communicated to the rider expeditiously by written correspondence.
- Riders may appeal any such decisions by following established ADA grievance procedures. Complaints that a County program, service or activity is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be directed to the Executive Director at 201-436-2200.
A Complainant may also file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation by contacting the Department at: US Department of Transportation, Office of Civil Rights,
Federal Transit Administration
Office of Civil Rights
Attention: Complaint Team
East Building, 5th Floor – TCR
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590